Thursday, December 20, 2012

my oldest

is fun. and joyful. and expressive. and scary observant.
his memory is exceptional and his verbage is delightful.
he spends his day " 'tending" and using his hysterical imagination.
and every now and then--he really gives us a run for our money.

I'm not sure if he's in the "strong-willed" camp (I mean, aren't all kids? to a certain degree?) but he certainly has his moments (and on the spectrum, is more that way, than say, his brother).


I'm still learning about my kids. what works, what doesn't (and believe me. I have two very different boys). how best to discipline--and what makes them tick. and even though my socks don't need to be perfectly lined up and I really don't have issues with my food touching--they might (and their dad might, too).

my oldest does best when he is properly warned and prepared. you want a meltdown? throw him in the car and bring him to the doctor without telling him what you're doing. I've learned it's better to practice taking our shoes off and standing on the scale, taking our temperature under our arms, and listening to our hearts. it usually goes much more smoothly. 

we're flying to california right after Christmas. have I already started prepping about taking our shoes off, putting our backpack on the conveyer belt, and walking through the metal detector? absolutely. Is his new favorite thing to pretend now 'airport'? yes. (his dad really took it the next level today--I think they were snacking on apple juice and crackers and even managed to go pick up the rental car). we don't always have time to give forewarning, but if I do? it's so worth the extra five minutes.

I'm constantly regretting (but trying to do better!) not writing down everything he asks or says. I find myself laughing at his commentary or shocked at his observations all the time.

he's in a super helpful stage right now, and would drop anything if it mean't helping his dad outside or me in the kitchen. I'm doing my best to be patient in this--one can only have so much help making coffee in the morning (and it's kind of a delicate time for us all).

just recently, Jonah wrote his name on a piece of paper. just like that. he also has been say "whatever" with a strong teenager tone (we're trying to curb that). but seriously. when did he grow up?


the kid gets down right giddy when he has his family with him. he's super affectionate and seeing him play (albeit, much too roughly) with his brother is just... well, great.

he may watch too much tv (and the threat of taking it away may work better than any--any--other form of punishment), he may gag down (usually done while I yell, "don't you throw up!") any vegetable we try to feed him, and he may yell, "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy" 500 times before he actually goes to bed at night,

but man...do we love this kid.

No comments: