Friday, March 2, 2012

whole wheat blueberry scones

Photobucket

I made these the other day, and they were good. I'm not too dogmatic about only cooking healthy/with healthy ingredients (okay, not dogmatic at all...I like good food and would rather go with a moderation approach than an eating cardboard one) but when I stumbled across these on Pinterest, I thought I'd give them a whirl. Whole wheat flours, not much sugar, and substitute greek yogurt for some of the butter. I even pulled out my stash of blueberries (which I keep frozen from the summer and am a bit...stingy...with). Worth making. I know I will be again.

Photobucket


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons turbinado
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
  • zest of one lemon
  • 3/4 -1 cup blueberries 
  • 1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt 
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk 
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
  3. Slice butter and drop into dry ingredients. If you have a pastry cutter, use it to cut the butter into the flour. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, use a knife to cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix it into the flour.
  4. Add blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir. You can use frozen blueberries, no thawing necessary.
  5. Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Eventually you’ll need to use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough.
  6. Form dough into a circle about that’s about an inch deep all around. Cut the circle into 8 slices.
  7. Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
  8. Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a bit of raw sugar.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown
Photobucket
Photobucket

Speaking of Pinterest...I actually have made several things that I've pinned. Mostly recipes, but I will try to keep you apprised on my Pinterest productivity--so as to prove that my time pinning is most certainly time well spent.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Looks yummy. Where did you find the whole-wheat pastry flour? I've see several recipes lately that call for it and didn't see it at Meijer or Kroger.

the cuthberts said...

I actually found it at the Meijer on Saginaw. It's Bob's Red Mill brand so it's by all that stuff...